Thursday, August 11, 2005

Benefits on record of Divorced Spouse

A lot of folks have questions about receiving SSD benefits on the earnings record of a divorced spouse. Usually it is the wife who has raised the kids but not worked during the marriage. If she becomes disabled, she can receive benefits based on what her husband paid in.

However, you will need to meet certain conditions: Your marriage must have lasted ten years or more and you must usually be currently unmarried. You can start collecting disability benefits at age 50 if you become disabled and can prove you meet Social Security's definition of disability.

No comments: